How do I connect to Denison's network from off-campus or to my Novell U: and S: drives from a personal (non-Denison) Windows computer?
Using Remote Access allows you to connect to Denison's Novell file servers and Library and other resources that are otherwise restricted to on-campus only when you are off-campus.
The instructions below outline how to install and use Remote Access. Please use Firefox or Internet Explorer for Remote Access, NOT Google Chrome.
Important: If you wish to access files on Denison's Novell servers,
please follow the steps outlined in the Accessing Novell Drives FAQ AFTER
you use these instructions to establish a Remote Access connection.
Installing and Using Remote Access
You must have Java installed on your computer to complete the one-time setup steps. To make sure you have Java installed…
- Go to www.java.com and click the "Do I have Java?" link.
- Click the "Verify Java" button. If you see a bar at the top of your browser saying Java is out of date, click the "Run this time" button.
- If Java is installed, the version will display. If it is not the most current version (or if it is not installed at all) a download option for the latest version will appear.*
*If you use Banner on the computer you are setting up for Remote Access, do not update to Java 7 - Java 6 is still recommended for Banner. You may proceed if you have Java 6 installed.
Connecting via Remote Access
Once you have made sure you have Java installed, please follow the below instructions…
Ending a Network Connect session:
- Open your web browser and go to http://remote.denison.edu. If you see a security warning, please accept it in order to continue. The Remote Access login screen will appear.
- Enter your username and email password and click “Sign In”.
IMPORTANT! The first time you go to log in, you may be prompted to install “Host Checker” software. Depending on your operating system and browser, there will be various prompts to allow the installation to occur. Please accept all the prompts that appear. If there is an option to "Always accept...", please check that option.
After the installation completes you will see the Denison University SSL VPN Portal page. The options and links you see will vary based on whether you are a student or a faculty or staff member.
- On the right-hand side of the page, click “Start” next to Network Connect. This will install a small application that will allow you to connect to Denison’s network from off-campus. Accept all prompts to allow the installation to proceed.
- Once installation is complete, it will initiate a Network Connect session and a connection dialog box will open quickly and then minimize. You can open the connection dialog by clicking the up arrow in the lower lefthand corner of your screen and selecting the Network Connect icon (a padlock with two dots above it).
Reminder: If you wish to access files on Denison's Novell servers, now that you are connected via Network Connect please follow the steps outlined in the Accessing Novell Drives FAQ.
- Open the Network Connect connection dialog box by clicking the up arrow in the lower lefthand corner of your screen and selecting the Network Connect icon (a padlock with two dots above it).
- Click the Sign Out button in the top right corner of the connection window. You will be asked to confirm that you wish to sign out. Click the Sign Out button.
If you have any questions or problems, please contact the ITS Help Desk at 740-587-6395 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For hours and drop-in locations, please visit http://www.denison.edu/its/helpdesk